Select Page

Who Is Entitled To Alimony?


Many individuals need financial support during and after their divorce to maintain the lifestyle they lived during marriage, or to get back on their feet after divorce. This financial support is called alimony and is paid by the individual’s former spouse. There are several forms of alimony in New Jersey, and multiple forms may be active simultaneously.

Temporary alimony

If an individual is unemployed or has very low earning, they may receive temporary alimony to pay for living expenses while their divorce takes place.

Limited duration alimony

Similar to temporary alimony, a judge may grant limited duration alimony based on an individual’s financial needs. They will receive funds until they are able to become self-sufficient.

Permanent alimony

Individuals that made significant sacrifices to maintain their family or further their spouse’s career, sacrifices, including leaving their own career or quitting higher education, may be granted permanent alimony.

Rehabilitative alimony

Rehabilitative alimony provides support to individuals who seek to improve themselves after their divorce. Choosing to go to grad school, for example. Alimony continues until they are self-supporting.

Reimbursement alimony

A common example of reimbursement alimony is when one spouse financially supports the other while they attend higher education, but they divorce before that financial support pays off.

Who can receive alimony?

The court takes several factors into consideration when an individual requests alimony. Their parental responsibilities, employability, financial needs and standard of living during their marriage are major influencers. Alimony payments are not based on fault in New Jersey. This means that factors such as an affair or domestic violence do not affect who pays or the amount.

Advocating For The People Of New Jersey

If your finances will be impacted by your divorce, call the attorneys at Diamond & Diamond, P.A., right away. Our lawyers at our office in Millburn can be reached at 973-671-1354 or via email. Initial consultations are free.